Wednesday, May 26, 2010

And now for an explanation.

Thought it might be worth explaining why my URL has the word "fasiq" in it, and what that weird squiggly thing at the top of the page is (it's the Arabic for "fasiq").
Fasiq: One who is disobedient or rebellious to God.

C'est moi! I've read other definitions that describe it as "one who knowingly and flagrantly disobeys God's laws" and the modern Arabic translation is "punk". Hmm - am I cool enough to be a punk? Let's stick with the first two definitions.

Also, please don't get the impression that I have some vendetta against Islam or Muslims (despite the fact that I use their word for agnostic and my very first post was defending the mass offending of Muslims worldwide) - I have a beef with religion and religious totalitarianism, and it must be said that there are currently many more prevalent examples of Islamic totalitarianism to be incensed by.

However, the whole Christian fundie movement (especially in America, but I have to be careful not to insult the American guy in my Politics tutorial) is capable of really really infuriating me too - Fundies Say the Darndest Things is a masochistic ritual I engage in regularly to remind me why people shouldn't be allowed to inflict their opinions on other people. Seriously, fuck them (par exemple).

No comments:

Post a Comment